Sunday, January 11, 2009

Self-Esteem, and where to get some

One of the things I've been shocked by in my adult life is the number of people who suffer from low self esteem--anything from mediocre self esteem to really non-existent. Not that I have the greatest self-esteem in the world, mind you, I've just been able to work on my own to where it's not nearly as low as it once was.

Low self-esteem is one of the most hampering, handicapping things that a person can endure.

It leads to difficulties in relationships, career, and even, sometimes to suicide or other self-destructive actions.

But what it DOESN'T have to be is permanent.

There are a multitude of resources out there that can help: one I recommend regularly is a book called "How To Raise Your Self-Esteem" by Nathaniel Branden. I've included a link to the book on the right, in case you want to purchase the book from amazon right away.

I also recommend "Feeling Good," A book by David Burns, and "You can't afford the Luxury of A Negative Thought."

Also, a blog called "High Self-Esteem" has some excellent ideas about how to build your self esteem...I've linked to some specific exercises that may be helpful. Take a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment